Sunday, May 19, 2013

CHALLAH

What a beautiful day it was!At last we had some sunshine here in the UK!I didn't even mind to water my veg today ;-) .After the last cold and rainy two weeks I was absolutely desperate to get a bit of sun on my bones.And it was just nice to relax in the garden.About a year ago I didn't even now how it felt to have a garden so I make the most of it now.(which in the UK means it's about once a month-if we are lucky) ;-)

Anyway,CHALLAH!
I LOVE making yeast dough!Whether it is bread, sweet buns or challah.There is something really magical about the whole process.Like Gordon Ramsey said '' You can switch of and loose yourself in it''.And I might be weird but I find it relaxing.....although kneading is blo*** hard work!!


RECIPE for 2 challahs

INGEDIENTS:

250 ml tepid water 
25 g fresh yeast or 8 g instant (I highly recommend fresh!), room temperature
5 egg yolks, room temperature
2 tbsp sunflower or rapeseed oil
4 tbsp sugar
550 g  white bread flour
1 tsp salt

ADDITIONALLY:
beaten egg
sesame or poppy seeds

1. In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over barely warm water. Beat in sugar, oil,egg yolks, and salt. Add the flour one cup at a time, beating after each addition, graduating to kneading with hands as dough thickens. Knead until smooth and elastic and no longer sticky, adding flour as needed. Cover with a damp clean cloth and let rise for 1 1/2 hours or until dough has doubled in bulk.

2. Punch down the risen dough and turn out onto floured board. Divide in half and knead each half for five minutes or so, adding flour as needed to keep from getting sticky. Divide each half into six and roll into long strands about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Pinch the ends of the six strands together firmly and braid a challah.Grease two baking trays and place finished braid on it. Cover with towel and let rise about half an hour.

3.Preheat oven to 180 C/Fan 160 C/Gas 4

4. Beat the remaining egg and brush a generous amount over each braid. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds if desired.

5. Bake for about 40 minutes. Bread should have a nice hollow sound when thumped on the bottom. Cool on a rack before slicing.

I do recommend go on to YOU TUBE and look for some videos how to braid a challah.
My husband even try to make a video of me braiding a challah and............ it is sooo funny and EMBARASSING, so I'm going to keep it to myself ;-)


photo by hubby

photo by hubby

Braided in the same way,somehow they look completely different.???Oh well.....It was my artistic day!






6 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I remember when my mom would make challah every Friday night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ;)It's nice to have memories like that.Mums are just great aren't they?

      Delete
  2. Oh, my gosh, gorgeous! Thinking about making this for spring/easter time. Thanks for the recipe!

    Catie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) and I thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Can I use vegetable oil or olive oil instead? Would that make any difference? Btw, that was a really pretty challah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Patty, sorry to reply so late.My blogger doesn't show me new comments grrrr ;/ how annoying!
    Yes you can use vegetable oil :)

    ReplyDelete